St. Robert Bellarmine Parish was founded on December 12, 1907, when the first Mass was celebrated by Fr. James O’Neill in the Odd Fellows Hall located on San Fernando Road and Olive Avenue. At that time, it was known as Holy Trinity Parish. The church was erected on the current school property in 1909 and was the first Catholic Church in the San Fernando Valley. St. Francis Xavier Cabrini frequently attended Mass there and she continues to be an important part of the Church community. In 1936, the church became the parish grammar school following the construction of the new church across the street.
The school opened in September 1936, with first through fourth grades and had a total enrollment of 88 pupils. Five religious sisters, members of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, staffed the new school. By 1938, the school reached an enrollment of 185 pupils in eight grades. In November of that year, Bishop Cantwell blessed the school and renamed it St. Robert Bellarmine.
The school continued to grow until, in 1955, it reached a maximum enrollment of 646 pupils occupying 12 classrooms. In September 1969, due to a decline in enrollment, four classrooms were converted to other functions. These former classrooms became the Religion, Learning, Art and Music Centers. In September 1979, the Art and Music Centers became the kindergarten classroom.
At the start of the 1987-1988 school year, a fundamental change occurred in the administration of the school. After 51 years of administration by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the role of principal was filled by a lay person.
Today, St. Robert Bellarmine serves students in transitional kindergarten through eighth grade. The students receive instruction in core subjects, religion, physical education, computers, music and Spanish. All classrooms are equipped with televisions, DVD players, Apple T.V., STAR Boards, document cameras and wireless internet. Students in sixth through eighth grades benefit from a 1:1 iPad program where the teachers and students utilize iPads to enhance instruction.
The school has a strong relationship with the parish community and Bellarmine-Jefferson High School. Together, the entire St. Robert Bellarmine community is dedicated in providing high quality Catholic education.